Wong Hee Kit
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Chair University Orthopaedics, Hand & Reconstructive Microsurgery Cluster
National University Health System, Singapore
University Spine Centre, University Orthopaedics,
Hand & Reconstructive Microsurgery Cluster
National University Health System, Singapore)
University Orthopaedics, Hand & Reconstructive Microsurgery Cluster
NUHS Tower Block, Level 11, 1E Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119288
Tel: 6772 4340
Website : http://medicine.nus.edu.sg/os/staff/wong_hee_kit.html
- M.B.B.S., University of Singapore, Singapore 1979
- M.Med. (Surg), National University of Singapore, Singapore 1984
- F.R.C.S. (Glasglow), Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians of Glasgow, United Kingdom 1984
- M.Ch.Orth. (Liv), University of Liverpool, United Kingdom 1988
- F.A.M.S., Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore 1989
Major Research Interests
- Visualization of reference markers for neuropathic pain.
- Biology and biomechanics of spinal fusion.
- Bioresorbable scaffolds as bone graft substitutes in spinal reconstructive surgery.
- Evaluation of carriers for stem cells and growth factors in spinal fusion.
- Adolescent spinal deformity, adult and complex spinal deformity surgery.
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery.
Selected Research Project
- Bone regeneration using NELL-1, a non BMP-2 osteoinductive growth factor delivered by novel carriers in a lumbar interbody spinal fusion model (CS-IRG).
- Neuropathic pain generator visualization study on rodent model with Metalloproteinase-12 activatable MRI probe (Mentor of Dr. Roger Ho) (CS-IRG-NIG).
- Neuropathic pain management with selective matrix metalloproteinase-12 inhibitor therapy in a depression rodent model (NUHS-CG Seed Funding).
- Defining the molecular mechanisms in interbody spinal fusion: An animal model utilising a novel bone chamber model designed for observation and manipulation of the fusion environment (Mentor of Dr. TAN KEN JIN) (MOE Tier 1)
Wang M, Lam RW, Abbah SA, Hu T, Toh SY, Cool S, Bhakoo K, Li J, Goh JC, Wong HK. Heparin-Based Polyelectrolyte Complex Enhances the Therapeutic Efficacy of Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 for Posterolateral Fusion in a Large Animal Model. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016 Aug 1;41(15):1199-207.
Wang M, Abbah SA, Hu T, Lam RW, Toh SY, Liu T, Cool SM, Bhakoo K, Li J, Goh JC, Wong HK. Polyelectrolyte Complex Carrier Enhances Therapeutic Efficiency and Safety Profile of Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 in Porcine Lumbar Interbody Fusion Model. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015 Jul 1;40(13):964-73.
Hu T, Abbah SA, Wang M, Toh SY, Moon Lam RW, Naidu M, Bhakta G, Cool S, Bhakoo K, Li J, Cho-Hong Goh J, Wong HK. Novel Protamine based Polyelectrolyte carrier enhance low dose rhBMP-2 in Posterolateral Spinal Fusion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015 Feb 19.
Abbah SA, Lam WM, Hu T, Goh J, Wong HK. Sequestration of rhBMP-2 into self-assembled polyelectrolyte complexes promotes anatomic localization of new bone in a porcine model of spinal reconstructive surgery. Tissue Eng Part A. 2014 Jun;20(11-12):1679-88.
Shi P, Abbah SA, Saran K, Zhang Y, Li J, Wong HK, Goh JC. Silk fibroin-based complex particles with bioactive encrustation for bone morphogenetic protein 2 delivery. Biomacromolecules. 2013 Dec 9;14(12):4465-74.
Wang M, Abbah SA, Hu T, Toh SY, Lam RW, Goh JC, Wong HK. Minimizing the severity of rhBMP-2-induced inflammation and heterotopic ossification with a polyelectrolyte carrier incorporating heparin on microbead templates. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Aug 1;38(17):1452-8.
Abbah SA, Liu J, Goh JC, Wong HK. Enhanced control of in vivo bone formation with surface functionalized alginate microbeads incorporating heparin and human bone morphogenetic protein-2. Tissue Eng Part A. 2013 Feb;19(3-4):350-9.
Abbah SA, Liu J, Lam RW, Goh JC, Wong HK. In vivo bioactivity of rhBMP-2 delivered with novel polyelectrolyte complexation shells assembled on an alginate microbead core template. J Control Release. 2012 Sep 10;162(2):364-72.