D. Phil. (Oxford), D. Sc. (London)
Senior Advisor to the President, NUS
Tan Chin Tuan Centennial Professor
Professor, Department of Biochemistry
Programme Leader, Neurobiology/Ageing Research Programme
Centre for Life Sciences, 28 Medical Drive, #04-19, Singapore 117456
Tel: +65 6516 6663
Major Research Interests
Understanding the molecular mechanisms of cell injury and death in human disease and in response to toxins. Antioxidants in nutrition, health and disease. Natural and synthetic antioxidants as therapeutic agents.
- Mechanisms of neurodegeneration in humans
- Elucidation of the role of iron in the development of atherosclerosis
- Antioxidants and pro-oxidants in the human diet in relation to health and disease
- The role of lipid peroxidation as a possible prognostic factor for diabetes and stroke
- Oxidative DNA damage in the nuclear and mitochondrial genomes, its molecular relationship to mutation, cancer, and ageing and its possible modulation by diet
- Isolating, purifying, testing in vivo, and examining the mechanisms of action of antioxidants from regional foods and traditional Chinese medicines
- Ageing in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans
- Halliwell B and Gutteridge JMC. (2015) Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine. Clarendon Press, Oxford (fifth edition), UK.
- Ranjan, M, Gruber J, Ng LF, Halliwell B (2013) Repression of the mitochondrial peroxiredoxin antioxidant system does not shorten life span but causes reduced fitness in C.elegans. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 63C, 381-389.
- Li C, Lönn ME, Xu X, Maghzal GJ, Frazer DM, Thomas SR, Halliwell B, Richardson DR, Anderson GJ, Stocker R (2012) Sustained expression of heme oxygenase-1 alters iron homeostasis in nonerythroid cells. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 53, 366-374.
- Seet RC, Loke WM, Khoo CM, Chew SE, Chong WL, Quek AM, Lim EC, Halliwell B (2012) Acute effects of cigarette smoking on insulin resistance and arterial stiffness in young adults. Atherosclerosis 224, 195-200.
- Lakshmanan LN, Gruber J, Halliwell B, Gunawan R (2012) Role of direct repeat and stem-loop motifs in mtDNA deletions: cause or coincidence? PLoS One 7, e35271.
- Loo AE, Halliwell B (2012) Effects of hydrogen peroxide in a keratinocyte-fibroblast co-culture model of wound healing. Biochim. Biophys. Res. Commun. 423, 253-258.
- Poovathingal SK, Gruber J, Lakshmanan L, Halliwell , Gunawan R (2012) Is mitochondrial DNA turnover slower than commonly assumed? Biogerontology In press.
- Rajendran R, Minqin R, Ronald JA, Rutt BK, Halliwell B, Watt F (2012) Does iron inhibit calcification during atherosclerosis? Free Radic. Biol. Med. In press.
- Murphy MP, Holmgren A, Larsson NG, Halliwell B, Chang CJ, Kalyanaraman B, Rhee SG, Thornalley PJ, Partridge L, Gems D, Nyström T, Belousov V, Schumacker PT, Winterbourn CC (2011) Unraveling the biological roles of reactive oxygen species. Cell Metab. 13, 361-366.
- Halliwell B (2011) Free radicals and antioxidants: – quo vadis? Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 32, 125-130.
- Schaffer S, Gruber J, Ng LF, Fong S, Wong YT, Tang SY, Halliwell B (2011) The effect of dichloroacetate on health- and lifespan in C. elegans. Biogerontology. 12, 195-209.
- Gruber J, Ng LF, Fong S, Wong YT, Koh SA, Chen CB, Shui G, Cheong WF, Schaffer S, Wenk S, Halliwell B (2011) Mitochondrial changes in ageing Caenorhabditis elegans – what do we learn from superoxide dismutase knockouts? PLoS One 6, e19444